Provigil vs Nuvigil - How are they different?
By Admin, Provigil
Working in shifts, patients have sleeping problems, and some have daytime sleeping issues known as sleep apnea. For all such patients, who wonder if medications could help in keeping them alert, help in excessive daytime sleepiness, Provigil Online and Nuvigil are the first-line medications. Both Nuvigil and Provigil are non-stimulant drugs. They work as cognitive enhancers.
Provigil is the brand, commonly sold in generic as Modafinil. Provigil is available in two doses - 100 and 200 mg. It is recommended to patients suffering from sleep apnea, with 200mg to 400mg dosage per day. Provigil improves alertness and productivity when compared to a placebo.
Nuvigil, also known as Armodafinil is different in chemical structure when compared to Provigil. It has been used to reduce fatigue in patients suffering from menopause with 150mg dosage per day. Nuvigil is available in 4 doses - 50, 150, 200, and 250 mg. The dosage of Nuvigil can be increased up to 250mg a day.
How do Provigil and Nuvigil work?
Provigil and Nuvigil treat patients suffering from sleep disorders like obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), narcolepsy, and shift work disorder (SWD). Both are controlled substances - Government-regulated drugs.
- Provigil and Nuvigil enhance dopamine signals, which is a neurotransmitter that promotes wakefulness.
- Both, Provigil and Nuvigil do not change the amount of dopamine quantity released, which the stimulant drugs do. Instead, these two drugs work by suppressing the other neurotransmitters.
Side Effects of taking Provigil or Nuvigil
- Provigil and Nuvigil, both should be cautiously used for patients with a medical history of heart disease.
- Overdosage of these drugs, could add to chest pain, fluctuation in blood pressure, and cause shivering and palpitation.
- Some of the common side effects of using either of these two drugs are headache, dizziness, and nausea. Some serious side effects are chest pain, trouble breathing, hallucinations, and allergic reaction.
How Provigil and Nuvigil are different from Stimulants?
Stimulants like Adderall and Ritalin stimulates the release of catecholamines, which include dopamine and norepinephrine. Whereas, Provigil and Nuvigil do not modify the quantity of dopamine.
Most stimulants used for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (AHDH) have addictions associated with them, whereas the usage of Provigil and Nuvigil do not report addiction.
How Provigil and Nuvigil are Different!
- The main difference is in the chemical structure. Provigil and Nuvigil are different in the formulation. However, the treatment with both drugs is the same.
- Provigil goes by Modafinil as the generic drug, whereas Nuvigil has Armodafinil as a generic drug. Provigil and Nuvigil are both costly, their generic versions are cheaper. Nuvigil tablets are slightly costlier than Provigil.
- Provigil is available in 2 doses - 100 and 200 mg, whereas Nuvigil is available in 4 doses - 50, 150, 200, and 250mg.
Provigil and Nuvigil are similar in terms of treating sleep disorders and other conditions. The major differences in the drugs are the availability of strengths and the cost. Any question with regards to Provigil and Nuvigil should be consulted with the doctor. After the consultation, the better drug which suits the patient should be considered.