Provigil: When and How to use it
By Admin, Provigil
What is Provigil?
Provigil, in the generic form, is available as Modafinil. This belongs to a stimulant class of medications, which is used to treat sleepiness caused by certain diseases. This is helpful when a patient suffers from a sleep disorder such as - taking recurring sleeping naps in the day time, sleeping in odd times due to shifting work disorder and due to obstructive sleep apnea. Excessive sleepiness is treated by taking Provigil. It is easily available online with a doctor's prescription. Before taking Provigil, it is advised to consult a doctor. Provigil helps the patient to stay awake, and this medicine does not treat sleep disorders and should not be taken to treat tiredness or to hold off sleep. It is important to consult a doctor before taking Provigil.
When should a patient take Provigil?
It is advised to take this medicine only on a doctor's prescription. The dosage should be taken as directed by the doctor. Provigil should not be taken in excess or regularly, as it can lead to habit-forming with severe side effects. When can a patient use Provigil?
- When a patient suffers from Narcolepsy - A neurological disease that affects the sleeping and waking habit of a patient.
- Sleepiness due to obstructive sleep apnea - obstruction during sleep in the upper airway, the diaphragm and chest work hard for breathing, this leads to sleepiness during the day.
- Patients working in shifts, and finding it hard to normalize and avoid sleepiness in the daytime will benefit from Provigil.
How to use Provigil?
Provigil is available in the form of oral tablets with 100-mg and 200-mg. The right dosage and the complete course of medication are to be taken as instructed by the doctor. The Provigil dosage depends on - the type and effectiveness of the sleepiness condition, age and other medical conditions that the patient has. Normally, the doctor starts with a low dosage and adjusts over time.
- In case narcolepsy and shift disorder, the typical dosage includes the 200 mg Provigil to be taken orally in the morning, or 1 hour before you start work.
- In the case of sleep apnea, the patient must use the CPAP machine (continuous positive airway pressure) at night and Provigil in the morning.
It is important to take the dosage as instructed and at the same time each day. Do not change the time, or increase dosage without consulting your doctor. Continue regularly for effective results. Do not stop the medication, as it may lead to withdrawal effects. This is one of the reasons, the doctors lower the dosage and slowly stop it.
If the patient has been taking Provigil for long time on a high dosage, the patient might show symptoms of mental and physical dependence, such as:
- Strong urge and desire to continue the medicine.
- Desire to increase the dosage to feel more active and energetic.
- Suffering from withdrawal effects, once or twice when the medication is missed.
If the patient has been taking the medication for a long time, it is important not to stop Provigil all of a sudden. Taking to doctor is important to avoid withdrawal effects. The doctor may slowly reduce the dosage before completely stopping it.
Though Provigil helps patients, it may sometimes cause addiction. Hence, it is important to take the exact dosage and accurately as described by a doctor. This will help patients from withdrawal effects as well as lower the risk of Provigil addiction.